Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sewing Frenzy

Last Friday, I decided I wanted to sew something for C. To help with my decision, Joann's was having a sale on all of their McCall patterns - $.99 each. I totally stocked up. I fell in love with this Oliver and S Brunch Coat that Purl Bee made. I loved the simple orange fabric with elephants, but with my need-to-craft-now mentality, I bought the closest fabric that Joann's had (which really isn't that close at all) and managed to find a similar McCall pattern, although I think I like the sleeves better on my pattern.

First, let me say, that I've never managed to finish sewing a garment without getting frustrated or ditching it halfway through. I've made a quilt and found it easy, but I'm just not good at sewing clothes. Well, at least clothes for me. Let's face it, I can barely find clothes that fit me well from the stores; there's no way I have the sewing ability to sew my own and have them look decent enough to wear in public. Since C is only 2, she's much easier to fit, no hips help. This is my first time sewing pockets, my first collar, my first sleeve, and my first gathering attempt.


This pattern was a little advanced for someone with my sewing ability, but I was not giving up. I just stayed calm, took my time and worked on it pretty late. I was able to finish it Saturday night. It looks pretty good, like a real little coat with a few wonky areas as expected, but the sleeves look pretty even. I just need to find some cute buttons for it. Oh, and I need to find a 2 year old who is cooperative enough to try it on. After all that work, I'm getting "No like! No like!". Pfft.